• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

9/11/74 another example of the magic that is 1974

#204535 1 year, 10 months ago
im only on a short break on the jam after Eyes, im on a break no break in the music, actually had to wait for something so posted in the mean time. 1974 is better then you can ever explain - listen to the Playin>Seastones>Seastones/Jam with everyone that melts into a killer Eyes of the World and I can't wait to hear what comes next. so sick. Eyes was never the same after 74' as wern't a lot of songs but still great. then theres Jack Straw that never gained all its power until after 74' but still some great versions before the long jam at the end.

Seastones - only played in 1974, and one of the most psychedelic things that ever happened in GD history, especially when other band mates joined and its melted into a jam and the 2nd set - check this 9/11/74 show out ill post links later. time to get back to the music.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Denver Man, NewHampshireJed
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

Re: 9/11/74 another example of the magic that is 1974

#204537 1 year, 10 months ago
you just can't go wrong with '74 shows, peak performances, top notch stuff !
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, MushroomMan
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#204538 1 year, 10 months ago
i know intermission was after Playin' not > Seastones my bad, but still crazy stuff
Chester
More or less in line

#204545 1 year, 10 months ago
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#204546 1 year, 10 months ago
^^ 30 minutes of Seastones on the sbd and you still have to go to an audience to hear the entire thing. longest Seastones they played clocking in over 40 minutes

nice Cassidy tease before Wharf Rat and some great jamming in the Playin' to close set 1 then especially as set 2 transformed from a Seastones into a Eyes with all sorts of crazyness inbetween and after

can't seem to find the audience on archive, I have an additional 10+ minutes of Seastones that preceeded what is on the above archive link
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by MushroomMan.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#204550 1 year, 10 months ago
There isn't an AUD in circulation. There are five SBDs of varying completeness and lineage and Dick's Pick #7. You can get a convenient overview of them here:
db.etree.org/lookup_show.php?shows_key=65352

If you have a more complete version of the show, I urge you to somehow get it into circulation. I'm a fan of Seastones and the electronic/experimentalism that enticed the GD to search for "thick air". Stockhausen, Luciano Berio, the many great abstract minds at Mill's College, and the list goes on. Ultimately, Seastones was a failure (because, honestly, it wasn't ever very good), but I very much appreciate what Phil & Ned were attempting and that they had the wonderful audacity to expose the GD audience to such ideas. It will always surprise me how musically unadventurous the average GD devotee is. To my understanding, it is counter-intuitive. It continues to be more than a little baffling.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by ZenoMarx.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#204556 1 year, 10 months ago
well I must disagree that Seastones was "never really that good" cause judging by the crowd noise, a lot of people loved it and it takes me out there everytime I hear one, even if I'm sober....

but anyway there was an audience recording because I have a matrix of the show ( gd74-09-11.12183.sbd.powell.sbeok.t-flac16 ) where the first 15 minutes of Seastones was added from an audience and also the end of Sugar Mag and U.S. Blues is only available as an audience. I can't find just the audience but there has to be one somewhere in circulation if this matrix was made with one.

I used this as my main source for the show --- gd74-09-11.07365.sbd.bertha.ashley.sbeok.t-flac16 --- and then I added in the the begining of Seastones and the patched Sugar Mag and U.S. Blues that was only available in audience.....

here is the text information from the torrent of the matrix mentioned above with the audience patches

"Candelario Matrix MSR D CD except
first 15:22 of Seastones (on Disc #2): AUD
end of Sunshine Daydream and encore: AUD

This is the Candelario matrix SBD reel recording.
From 2:10 to 3:00 of Scarlet Begonias the mix gets strange while Kid a
djusts his levels. We have left this passage intact (there is another
version in circulation where it is patched with AUD).

We have patched in from an AUD master the first 15:22 of Seastones,
the tail end of Sunshine Daydream, and US Blues, all missing on the
circulating MSR D.

Naturally this set supplements and does not supplant the portions of
this show released as parts of Dick's Picks #7, but until GDM releases
the show complete, this will do the trick nicely.

Dave Greenberg did the final mastering of these discs. We don't know
who mastered the patch of SSDD and US Blues; we extracted this portion
from a CD of the MSR D containing Eyes through the end of the show,
with this patch already in place, and nicely done -- our compliments
to whoever mastered it. HB also provided important assistance.

This project was instigated and these notes written by Jim Powell.
SHN conversion by Jay Gerland ( This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) with seed provided
by Jed Distler ( This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it )."

---there was also a sbd put into circulation recently of the last 3/4 or so of Seastones threw Around and Around (gd74-09-11.sbd.partial.cribbs.xxxxxx.flac16) that is supposedly an upgrade but I honestly couldn't hear a difference between that and the Bertha.Ashley, of course I saved it anyway.

--actually looks like that matrix source is in the link you posted, my bad --- the torrent says sbd but the text info says it's a matrix
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by MushroomMan.
tdog
Junior Boarder
Take a step back

#204561 1 year, 10 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
There isn't an AUD in circulation. There are five SBDs of varying completeness and lineage and Dick's Pick #7. You can get a convenient overview of them here:
db.etree.org/lookup_show.php?shows_key=65352

If you have a more complete version of the show, I urge you to somehow get it into circulation. I'm a fan of Seastones and the electronic/experimentalism that enticed the GD to search for "thick air". Stockhausen, Luciano Berio, the many great abstract minds at Mill's College, and the list goes on. Ultimately, Seastones was a failure (because, honestly, it wasn't ever very good), but I very much appreciate what Phil & Ned were attempting and that they had the wonderful audacity to expose the GD audience to such ideas. It will always surprise me how musically unadventurous the average GD devotee is. To my understanding, it is counter-intuitive. It continues to be more than a little baffling.

It's hard to listen to and requires an effort on the part of the listener. It's the same thing people say about Coltrane's later era stuff (A Love Supreme and later) and the 'free jazz' of Ornette Coleman, etc. Jerry and Phil were carrying on after Coltrane and others with their own version of experimental music. They didn't invent the genre. Personally, I appreciate it but have to be "in the mood" for it. Frankly, the Dead were always appreciative of their audience who were willing to go along for the ride on most nights.
Freedom is truth.
hyjacker
Junior Boarder

#204564 1 year, 10 months ago
My first show was in 74. Hard to believe,,
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#204573 1 year, 10 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
but anyway there was an audience recording because I have a matrix of the show ( gd74-09-11.12183.sbd.powell.sbeok.t-flac16 ) where the first 15 minutes of Seastones was added from an audience and also the end of Sugar Mag and U.S. Blues is only available as an audience. I can't find just the audience but there has to be one somewhere in circulation if this matrix was made with one.
I'm confused by this as well, but if that AUD was ever in public circulation, it would be on that list I provided above. Even if the GD asks to have recordings not be circulated any longer, they never come off the etree list. Once the SHN ID# is assigned, it's there for good. They can pull the recording itself, but the SHN ID# and source information remain on the database. So, I can only reasonably assume that this AUD has never been shared outside its use for patching. Weird.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan
Time to create page: 1.31 seconds