Senior Boarder

Re: Bob Weir vs. Phil Lesh

#214555 1 year, 9 months ago
Celebrity death match?
lightchaser
Platinum Boarder

#214558 1 year, 9 months ago
I can't go for the either/or thing here. We're talking yin/yang. Bobby is a wonder of nature. Phil is a revolutionary bassist. For the genre, the only one is his league is Jaco Pastorious (God rest his poor soul) who had a Zone of his own. To see Bob or Phil do anything is special, and to see them together is damn near sacred.
Thank You Cody, we are forever Grateful!
The following user(s) said Thank You: i_be_sublime
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

#214570 1 year, 9 months ago
Hard to choose that 1 when bobby is on he is on.However thats only bout 60% of the time imho.Phil though is more in the 85% and has better well maybe not newer but fresher talent with him if that makes any sense.So my answer would be of course uncle phil.Besides it is widely known i am no bobby fan.He does have my respect for carrying on!!!!Wait no bobby,wait no phil,no bobby oh who the hell cares as long as they keep playing.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#214583 1 year, 9 months ago
wlewis wrote:
listening to phil play his bass parts on stage by himself would cause a ton of people to scratch their heads. it wouldn't be anything like when weir does his solo stuff.

phil and friends rocks because he brings in world class and local type musicians and just takes it wherever it's willing to go.

i've seen weir by himself, and i don't ever need to see it again.

Put you fingers in your ears and go "naa naa naa naa naa" Bobby

What? You didn't buy tickets to the solo Phil tour??
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#214585 1 year, 9 months ago
I heard that for the Phil solo tour he does 20 min versions of "If the shoe fits"...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#214586 1 year, 9 months ago
I love the part where he does the opening of Other One over and over for 20 minutes
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#214588 1 year, 9 months ago
Here we go with a reality ck, I'm sure this will get some peoples panties in a knot. Jerry Garcia and Bobby Weir were the "stars"
of the Grateful Dead. They wrote the songs, they sang the songs... they are the reason the Grateful Dead became so popular.
They were the "draw" the reason people bought tickets to see the Grateful Dead. Just a few facts---when 2 members were invited to go on David Letterman it was Jerry and Bobby they invited. Go to youtube and watch any old GD video..the camera is focused on Jerry and Bobby 95% of the time....even on the "official dvds". This is not to say we did not appreciate Phil or his playing but he was still the bass player (world class yes but still the bass player). Let me use another analogy of a band I love, The Who. People bought tickets to see Roger Daltry and Pete Townsend..... John Entwhistle is another world class bassist but he was not the reason people went to see the Who. The singer, songwriter, and guitarist are always the "draw" of rock bands. Much like Phil, Entwhistle wrote and sang a few tunes (My Wife, Boris the Spider). Much like Phil he was crucial to the sound of the band... but not the "frontmen or draw". Lots of revisionist history after the passing of Jerry elevating Phils status but the facts remain that when the Grateful Dead was playing/touring people went to see the Jerry & Bob show.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#214589 1 year, 9 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
I love the part where he does the opening of Other One over and over for 20 minutes

Rut roh ol I'll bite

Phil Solo Night One of 2 night run
Opening of other One> Childhoods End> Shoe Fits>Wave to the Wind>Unbroken Chain>Box of Rain E: Opening of Other One

Night 2

Phil Solo Night One
Opening of other One> Childhoods End> Shoe Fits>Wave to the Wind>Unbroken Chain>Box of Rain E: Opening of Other One

Bring on the flames
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#214599 1 year, 9 months ago
Weirder: you missed the encore 2nd night would be the rest of the other one with phil on vox. ouch.

also, Beatles stars were.......Paul and John. The bassist and guitarist.

Now Phil and Bobby think they're the Beatles...lol jkjkjk
mtnhead
Junior Boarder

#214603 1 year, 9 months ago
Bob is a sub-par musician compared to Phil and was always compared to Jerry. I know this upsets some of you true believers but I can't help that.

Most deadheads, whether they admit it or not, were Jerry song fans, not Bobby song fans.
Time to create page: 1.25 seconds