• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

Re: Bob Weir vs. Phil Lesh

#215005 1 year, 9 months ago
gdrew817 wrote:
Bob has more to offer than Phil in a solo setting which factually means HES A A more interesting musician
that's quite a statement (and leap). Interested in reading you argue it and take it from hyperbole to "fact". Not rhetorical. Sincerely would like to hear how your logic works.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#215011 1 year, 9 months ago
gdrew you don't seem to get it. i wouldn't want to see either of these guys solo. their music was NEVER about one person. i saw bob solo and it was lame. i said seeing phil solo would be a head scratcher for most, and nothing like when weir plays solo. i don't see denial there. weir is straightforward with his solo format. the guitar chords for the songs are recognizable to all. phil's bass parts ARE different than guitar parts, that's the FACT. how is being honest with yourself not sensible? i play bass, more specifically, GD bass for years. i'm more interested in what phil is doing than bob. however, i still get off watching weir hang ten out on space and time. but everyone seems to assume that i hate weir simply because i don't like everything he does. all i can say is i go to the shows and form my own opinions. i don't form opinions based on what other people think on the internet, like so many do.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: i_be_sublime
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#215013 1 year, 9 months ago
"Hey Phil, why do they want us to fight?" "I don't know Bob, but I could take you down with one punch" "Let's just kiss and make up"
bobnphil.jpg
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Island Head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stricken, Griff
stricken
Gold Boarder

#215014 1 year, 9 months ago
When you put vs in it becomes one or the other and both are a part of the whole music we love so if the point of this thread is to start some kind of feud or refuel one all i can say is childish.
ANd if you have to ask who is better i think you dont get the whole picture of whats going on with the making of the music.
If you did you would know that the bass is doing his own thing and by that running scales but not just scales alone sometimes the bass holds the rhythm up so another can play lead over it.One way a bass player can be evaluated is by the ability to hold the rhythm.
Im going on and on and the best way to put it is if you like fruit salad there may be some in the mix you dont care for but the next person loves it. so it matters to you no need for someone else to tell you your correct or wrong.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#215150 1 year, 9 months ago
gdrew you don't seem to get it. i

I'm sure he gets it he just sees it differently...

all i can say is i go to the shows and form my own opinions. i don't form opinions based on what other people think on the internet, like so many do

Really? There is so much irony in this statement I don't know where to begin. Lets start with I agree with your sentiment but..you hardly demonstrate it here. As far as your sentiment.. I posted I think Mountains of the Moon sux ... I woulda said the same thing 10 20 or 30 yrs ago. Yet I am whats the word I'm looking for : Lambasted for having this opinion. Furthur, I would say a good percentage (not all) of folks here do exactly that.. rarely is there a dissenting voice. Back to the original thread .... after Jerry passed and Phil started Phil & friends it became "the cool thing" to love Phil and hate on Bobby. These posers ( some not all) just regurgitate the same thing they read or heard a friend say... " F weir Phil is where its at. "The vast majority of these folks had little to no knowledge or time "spent "on the road" with the GD. I can't honestly believe anyone could hate on any member.. they all played their part in making the sum much greater than the whole.
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#215153 1 year, 9 months ago
i meant what i was saying. not "it". don't want that to go any further than it needs to.
bxorain
Senior Boarder

#215173 1 year, 9 months ago
Both...at the same time or separately...
Poles
Expert Boarder

#215202 1 year, 9 months ago
For what it's worth, I love going to Furthur shows and they have proved great times with my wife and friends. However, after seeing Phil and Friends at the Welmont, in my humble opinion, the music proved far more energetic and inspired than recent Furthur offerings. Understanding that it is a different entity all together, many of the faithful I am contact with expressed similar opinions. Does this mean that I believe Phil is Bobby's superior, not exactly. Phil's ability to keep up with younger musicians and their respective interpretation of the music is probably "better." At the end of the day they are both approaching their twilight years, and they are who they are; a couple of elder statesmen doing the best they can at this stage of their storied life. Their relative prowess or lack there of should not be a sources of divisiveness among the collective, its all relative.
Don't ya touch hard liquor
Just a cup of cold coffee
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin, It All Rolls Into One
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#215260 1 year, 9 months ago
poles that is the most sensible post here. i like what you had to say about being able to keep up with younger musicians and their interpretations.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#215273 1 year, 9 months ago
wlewis wrote:
poles that is the most sensible post here. i like what you had to say about being able to keep up with younger musicians and their interpretations.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Denver Man. Reason: fuck it
Time to create page: 0.87 seconds