• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

Re: Here we go--haters step inside

#216334 1 year, 9 months ago
AcidTestGraduate wrote:
The guy is so fluid and understands Jerry's language, therefore doesn't need to try and play the passages note for note.
I have to agree. It didn't hit me right away, but over the years, I've come to the same conclusion. He's also aggressive/confident enough to stand out front and take the lead. He didn't do it all the time, so he also has a great understanding of both group dynamic and sonic dynamics. He's an astute player. I'd like to see him play with Scofield and Kimock (on different occasions, not all together) in PL&F. His only weakness is that he can sometimes get lazy and float the same scales rather than engage his ears and mind. I realize it's a lot to ask to not pull out your stand-by tricks when you're a little dull that night or that moment. He'd be my top pick for a PL&F supergroup, so I don't have any choice but to admit I'd like to see him play with Furthur if JK doesn't work out down the road.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by ZenoMarx.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#216350 1 year, 9 months ago
When this board was first starting and I was tripping one night an Other Ones show was on gdradio and it just seemed to grab me by the bone. I made a thread or post or something saying how I hate to admit it but I think The Other Ones may sound better then Furthur..... of course that's opinion and something I wont even try to contemplate in my head. I never saw them but judging by the recordings they sounded like a really good band that I would liked a lot. They had this kind of mellow style but not to slow or anything.... I like a lot of the new stuff they were coming out with at the time to..... I may even be thinking 98' or 00' Other Ones

DSO on the other hand I thought were ok. Matson was good but no real emotion with him.... kind of like a 'chin on chest' Jerry show with him it seemed to me at least. I wasn't so much into the guy doing Bob's parts either..... there were some good moments but overall I don't think I'd see them again except at a festival or something...... I would like to see them with Jeff 20 minutes from my house next month but i need to save some $ and don't feel bad missing it.

no offense to DSO they just didn't do much for me..... I wish I didn't fall asleep for the drums though as I heard that was the highlight of the show... that was this past Vibes I saw them.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#216352 1 year, 9 months ago
The Other Ones of 1998 made me jump off the bus, specifically when Mickey sang Fire on the Mnt .. just sayin .. I wasn't even close to being over Jerry so that didn't help. So in 2002 I wasn't even listening plus they didn't even come through Colorado that year, I do have some recordings from then so maybe I'll give them a listen. Put one foot back on the bus in 2003 with the Dead.. 5 nights at Red Rocks helped

DSO really impressed me this year. I think Mattson is a bad ass.

Jimmy Herring is a phenomenal guitar player but I think he is most suited for Widespread. Plus he single-handiy saved the band.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Denver Man.
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#216362 1 year, 9 months ago
Not for nuthin', but... Mickey sang on the first studio version of Fire On the Mountain, circa 1973. He said that he was trying to sound like Robert Hunter, but it was him doing the singing, or rapping or whatever. The GD jammed Fire without lyrics that year. Listen to the Watkins Glen sound check, 7/27/73. That whole jam was wild, primal GD. In 1976 the GD played a jam titled Happyness is Drumming, which is actually a jam of Fire on the Mountain. See Chicago (6/23 I think, but I am not sure of the day). Jerry didn't start singing Fire until 1977.
I thought The Other Ones were a very strong band. Susan T is an energetic, talanted singer who performs well live. I luv it when a good singer does Dead stuff. Susan was my fav until Joan Osborne came along. Neither Susan or Joan try to sound like Jerry, they just bring there own voice to a body of work that rules the roost.
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by nycdave. Reason: Spelling issues
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#216373 1 year, 9 months ago
I'm not hating on TOO btw. If they formed that very band now I'd be the 1st in line. But in 1998 - 2002 I wasn't in the mood.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#216375 1 year, 9 months ago
I saw both Philly shows in 02 and the performance the 1st night was outstanding, however they replaced Kimock/ Karan with Jimmy which was a mistake in my opinion because to me Jimmy emphasizes speed and cramming in as many notes as possible which is not the Jerry way. Mickey singing Down The Road does nothing for me. If I had to choose between TOO 02 and Furthur 2012 I say Furthur all the way.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#216391 1 year, 9 months ago
never ever been a fan of the two-keyboard lineup...2nd set of keys is superfluous

herring's a fine fine player, but i like him better in the allmans...my favorite allmans lineup to see live was herring and derek
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#216396 1 year, 9 months ago
I am listening to the 02 Spectrum "Shakedown" and dang....Bob's so ON! 10 years ago........

I also loved the 1998 Other Ones. Their live album is still a constant-play in my iTunes. Especially the Jack Straw > Sugaree > Corrina. That CD's "Estimated" was the one that finally got me into the song. Also, always loved the hair-raising audience explosion when "St. Stephen" starts.
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#216404 1 year, 9 months ago
His only weakness is that he can sometimes get lazy and float the same scales rather than engage his ears and mind. I realize it's a lot to ask to not pull out your stand-by tricks when you're a little dull that night or that moment.

Lots a good comments here-- I was thoroughly expecting flames from some haters. Anyway...regarding Herring you are spot on on the above. Here I go again...its part of the reason I think the Q was way overrated. I know he's an excellent guitarist but at many Q shows it seemed his contribution was to hit the same notes over and over then hit the pedal for woowoowowo sound. To clarify the Q to me was Like Dave Kingman (I'm sure some old timers remember him)..he wou;d strike out 4 times then hit a MONSTROUS home run. In the later category 7-21-01 Hartford ( show with Ratdog)-- I think Jimmy deferred to Warren way to much--- I like Warren too-- a cas eof being seperate is greater than the sum.

Shit I digress. Regarding the 98 other ones... DM its a shame you must have caught a weak show. Weir, Lesh, Hart, Hornsby, Kimock, Karan, Molo.......that is an insane lineup. As DM touched on the wound of Jerrys passing was still open. Without doing full blown reviews this was the first time many long time heads got to hear St Stephen , the Eleven and others live. To me it was a giant healing process.

As far as what shows I did we started with 7-3-98 Camden. Indescribeable..all I can say is everything that brings on the X factor was in play---Philly crowd (with NY & DC representing) in all its electric fury. Kimock and Karan meshed perfectly, Kimock in particular ( no suprise) blew the roof off ( if it had one LOL) . The Live Dead sequence in set 2 St Stephen >Eleven >Lovelight was otherwordly . Donna was even there for Wang Dan Doodle, Playin and the Cassidy encore. As far as I know its the first time Donna appeared with Bob & Phil since her departure from the GD. Phil kicks in with the only Other Ones Like a Rolliin Stone too.

07/03/98 (Fri) Furthur Festival @ Blockbuster-Sony Music Entertainment Centre - Camden, NJ

Set 1: Jam, Jack Straw, Like a Rolling Stone > Wang Dang Doodle (1), Rainbow's Cadillac, Lost Sailor > Saint of Circumstance, Playing in the Band (1) > Banyan Tree > Drums > Jam > Playing in the Band Jam > Uncle John's Band, St. Stephen > The Eleven > Lovelight, E: Cassidy

Better copy than the original I postd here:

archive.org/details/too1998-07-03.aud.un...awrocki.85841.flac16

7-4-98- Long ass drive to Saratoga with mass traffic. Another really strong show but not quite up to the night before. The opening US Blues for the 4th was well played BUT um Phil tried to sing it ..you wanna cringe listen to it. Scarlet>Fire smokin really good LL Rain.... I'm doing this off the top of my head may add comments when I go look at the lists.

archive.org/details/too1998-07-04.schoeps.sobel.28908.flac16

7-9-98 Star Lake - This was the "jerry tribute show" not offically but all those in attendance agreed. The first Bob/Phil ( and Mickey) Shakedown since Jerry passed..... ( Ratdog had played it I believe once). Insane. over the top greatness. Long version into a dripping Playin..psychedlia madness. Shakedown>playin nearly 30 minutes to open. Then the OO debut of Ramble on Rose ( I had forgotten this was the debut). Only one other show did I ever see the massive waterworks that went down on this one (ratdog tower Knockin just after jerry passed) .. but the fact that this was a much more massive crowd and outside and it wasn't dark out yet.... people were bawling but when they hit the Take you to the leader of the band line... there wasn't a dry eye in the house
..some people just losing it.. ( tears were flowing for this poster too) ... then they ease us into Mickeys Jerry tribute song "Down the Road again" man this show was HEAVY. Then 1/2 step..spine tingling.. then to wrap up the salute Its all over now Baby Blue... more waterworks.....then it was back to earth... they also did an UJB "he's come to take his children home" that really brought the Jerry vibe back.... lastly as so many times before.... a barn burning Sugar Mag to wrap things up. This is one where the tapes are superb..but if you were there it was MUCH MUCH more.

archive.org/details/too1998-07-09.akg-ck...m.burke.97289.flac16
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#216405 1 year, 9 months ago
I don't think I've heard Mickey sing Down the Road but I love the song and Bruce did a great job with it when he sang IMO

--well enless that's really Mickey singing and I always thought it was Bruce
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by MushroomMan.
Time to create page: 0.75 seconds